Wednesday, June 3, 2009

How Well Do You Really Know Me?

If you haven't noticed, I occasionally like to wear vintage and even modern clothing that has flowers or bright colors on them. Whenever I'm surfing the net for vintage clothing and I see something that I dig, it usually ends up being meant for the female gender. I use conditioner on my crew cut. I wear an eye mask some bright mornings so I can sleep in. I have danced to "Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)". I grow herbs. I use Chapstick often. I put cream and honey in my luke-warm coffee. I own a book about purses. I wear linen pants. I want to learn how to sew. I have a high-pitched laugh when I can't stop. I generally wear an A-shirt underneath to prevent too much nipple/man boob from showing. I made a pair of my cargo pants into capris. I like to wear flip-flops, and own white ones. It takes me a very long time to choose what to wear and a very, very long time to pack for a trip. My bike has a bell on it. I occasionally wear a leather fanny pack. I bought one of those European Speedo-type skin tight boxer/brief -like swim trunks, just to see....Now, after being told these things you may have formed your own opinion about me, and no offense, but frankly I don't care what others think of me. I contend there are tons more "manly" things about me, and hopefully my wife, friends, and family can attest to this. I said, hopefully. Recently I went to my cousin Sarah's wedding (my Mom's sister's daughter). I had met her new husband, Jassen, a couple of times before spending a week in his presence at our family reunion ten months ago, and had talked with him briefly this past winter. Sarah's wedding was big, beautiful, and elaborate, and Sarah is a somewhat eccentric person, and I love her for all of it. Knowing all of this about Sarah, I didn't think she would mind if I wore my men's vintage suit to her wedding--my Dad's 3-piece blue suit from the late 70's. I happened to find a modern Van Heusen shirt that matched the green of her wedding perfectly, and a black tie from the 70's that had darker green accents. My shoes were two-tone brown Nunn Bush's from the last ten years. My 70's sunglasses, being that the wedding was outdoors, were clear gray, big and round, and probably a woman's before me. The seating at the ceremony was sporadic, so I and my brother David, in my late Grandfather's 80's black pinstripe suit, black shirt, and silver tie, sat alone together in the front row. It was a splendid service. At the reception I learned that Jassen asked Sarah, "Is David gay?" Not because David, who Jassen knows, looked gay, but because Jassen thought I did. He thought I was my brother's gay lover. I know, it sounds like it could be complicated, but it's not really. Jassen, who apparently does not remember me each time we meet (He has said to me before, "Hey, guy, how are you doing,? Nice to see you again." When someone uses "guy" or "chief" or something like that when they talk with you, it's pretty obvious they don't remember your name.), just has a bad memory and thinks I dress effeminately. So you see, it's not the gay part that bothers me, it's the lack of impression I'm leaving (and not that I'm trying to impress, but naturally it feels good to be remembered by people). Do I need to try harder? I think every time I "meet" Jassen from now on, if I say, "Hi Jassen, I'm Chris, my brother's homosexual lover," I'm pretty sure he'll never forget me again.

5 comments:

  1. OMG, Chris, I laughed so hard reading this. I could see how someone that didn't know you two might have thought that, now that I think about it. But having met you a few times, you are definitely manly. I thought you looked splendid in your suit. I told your dad so. And, you are right. Sarah's wedding was the perfect place for you to show off your vintage duds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the saying goes...never judge a book by it's cover... The thing is, probably most people have heard this saying and yet they still judge. I guess it is human nature, but I think we would all be better off if we avoided some of our less intelligent instints... Stay true to yourself... I think it's great that you don't care what others think...and I loved the suit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say, "Never ASSUME" it makes an ASS out of you and ME! I think the suit is FAB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the too fab for the Midwestern wedding syndrome. Keep up the good work---someone's got to look fab

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I think it is a compliment. Gay men are well groomed and know how to dress. Would you feel better if he asked if David was an beer drinkin' alcoholic because you were dressed like a hoosier? You have to give Jassen a break-one day you can dress one way and then the next occasion you dress a completely different way and look like another person. I have never thought you dressed feminine but I haven't seen you in your red and blue warm up suit yet:)

    ReplyDelete