Sunday, August 16, 2009

Halloween 2009, Saturday Night Live Style

In the mid 80's I got hooked on Saturday Night Live with a group of close friends. We would get together at one of our houses every Saturday night to watch the entire hour and a half episode. This ritual lasted to the mid 90's, though college caused those Saturdays to become much fewer. I personally think those were the funniest years of SNL, with the best actors and characters. Those nights truly shaped part of me, and helped to mold my current sense of humor. On top of that, I got to spend great time with my friends, and instead of being out drinking on a Saturday night, we would be Lothar of the Hill people and talking of walking with women.
Every year for Halloween usually the only costumes I entertain are SNL characters. Last year's costume originated from a Blue Oyster Cult studio recording with the infamous Gene Frenkle. The costume was a process: finding vintage jeans and a vintage men's shirt (I ended up with a women's) that needed to be three sizes too small, locating a huge cowbell, and getting decent glasses, shoes, a wig, and a drum stick. But after spending several hours working on the beard by weaving and gluing thread through plastic mesh and the end result occasionally falling apart or needing re-shifting, not to mention that it was a bird's nest to Frenkle's beard, I wondered why I went through all of the trouble when there were so many great SNL characters that weren't as difficult, and could be done on the cheap. So over the next couple of months I'll throw out a top ten list of the funniest, easiest, and cheapest SNL characters that you could be for Halloween, one at a time. Of course, I may miss some, or may have some taste bias, so comment back if there are any glaring ones that I've forgotten. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment